Calgary and Portland

I think this year was a year of quality rather than quantity. Last year, I found it hard to compile a list of 10 favourite albums because I kept thinking of more possible contenders. However, this one was pretty simple. Perhaps it's because I've been listening to less music in general (thanks Tumblr). Or perhaps this is a reflection of my constant need for hearing something "new" slowing down a tad, and my need for lasting, solid albums is increasing. So, the albums I liked this year, I really really liked and still have them on repeat.




Here y'are:
1. Grouper-Dragging a Dead Deer Up a Hill
The cover art for this album is perfect. The album creates this dark, obscure atmosphere and story which I've never heard or seen or read, but desperately want to know more about. I have a feeling this will be one of my most favourite albums for years to come. I want to say that Heavy Water/I'd Rather Be Sleeping was my favourite track, but I really don't know anymore. They all kind of slowly unfolded on to me as a whole story.

2. Azeda Booth-In Flesh Tones
I don't even know how to describe this one really. I want to say this album was unique, but that word always sound contrived and to mean the opposite of what it actually means when put in to context. However, I truly believe this band has completely got their own thing going especially considering they are from Calgary. It makes me wonder if there are other Pop/Ambient treasures in the area, but I sort of doubt it. I realize this makes me sound like I'm dissing Calgary, and I'm sorry. Your airport is fabulous.
Anyways, the album itself.. You know that feeling when a song kind of stops you from breathing because you have to fully experience the tension? This album is full of those. The androgynous vocals really do it for me also.
Favourite Tracks: John Cleese, First Little Britches, Big Fists

3. Benoit Pioulard-Temper

It's no Précis, but there were a number of tracks which still left me in awe of how much I love Benoit (more specifically Ahn and Idyll). I think the reason I wasn't completely blown away is partly because I'm so attached to the previous album, and also because there were a lot of short instrumental tracks which could have been omitted in my opinion.
I was talking to someone about how there are certain singer/songwriters who are complete in and of themselves. I find often there's something 'missing' with a number of these type of musicians, but others create these full, whole albums which don't need anyone else, and Benoit is one of them.

4.Now Now Every Children-Cars

So fucking catchy and cute and not that sickly bandwithananimalinthename cute that I can't stand anymore. If I was ever to be an indie pop band, this would be it.

5. Festival-Come Arrow, Come

pretty+girls+harmonized vocals=win


6. The Dodos-Visiter

Instructions: Go see live.


7. Bon Iver-For Emma & Forever Ago/Fleet Foxes-s/t

They tied. I know, what a predictable choice. Whatever.


8.Chad VanGaalen-Soft Airplane

This totally surprised me. I always kind of thought of Chad VanG as this folky boring dude that Canadians mostly promoted because he was Canadian. I am so so sorry. I realized he's actually quite arty and dark. Molten Light kept playing and playing and playing on my itunes a few months ago and I'm afraid I've worn it out. I am now rediscovering his old albums, because I am quite positive I didn't give him enough chance.

9. Lykke Li-Youth Novels

I don't listen to this album anymore. It's good though. I figure it needed to be in this list just based on how stoked I was at first.


10. Ratatat-LP3

Didn't like Ratatat until this album. It is perfect.



Honourable mentions:
Helios-Caesura
I find the drums too shrill on this, but this album slowly grew on me. Perhaps I need even more time with it.
Mount Eerie with Julie Doiron and Fred Squire
I love these artists to death and in tandem it is overwhelming. However, I find the songs a little too melancholy at times. I've still listened to it quite a few times (namely flaming home).
The Tallest Man On Earth-Shallow Graves
So this was released in 2007, but it was in mid-November. Some raw twang which deserves a shout-out.


1 thoughts:

haha so are you glad i got you the azeda booth album!


i need to listen to it more i rarely hear it now as my ipod was stolen!

January 2, 2009 at 11:47 a.m.  

Newer Post Older Post Home