Life-affirming.


Joan Of Arc



I'm not one for overly-dramatic language, or heaping ridiculous and excessive praise on an artist, BUT,

on June 2nd at the Media Club in Vancouver, I will be born anew in the genius of my favourite collective of musicians. No other group has influenced me musically as much as these people.

Joan of Arc are a band comprised of members of:
  • Cap'n Jazz
  • Owls
  • American Football
  • The Promise Ring
  • Maritime
  • Friend/Enemy
  • Love Of Everything
  • The One Up Downstairs
  • Aloha
  • Noyes
  • Ghosts & Vodka
  • Make Believe
  • Sharks and Seals
  • Sam Zurick, People Dick
  • Owen
  • The Sky Corvair *see footnote
  • others which only existed for one-off shows
* 6 out of the 16 bands listed are, even when considered separately from the scene and one another, in my top 25 favourite bands of all time *

Their new album "Boo, Human!" is out May 20th, and is available for pre-order on the Polyvinyl website. The first single, of course called "A Tell-Tale Penis" (in true Kinsella fashion).

from "Boo, Human!", 2008 Polyvinyl/Jade Tree

----------------------

Track Listing

1. Shown and Told
2. Laughter Reflected Back
3. Just Pack or Unpack
4. 9/11 2
5. A Tell-Tale Penis
6. Everywhere I Go
7. Vine on a Wire
8. Insects Don't Eat Bananas
9. Lying and Cheating Mind
10. If There Was a Time #1
11. The Surrender #1
12. If There Was a Time #2
13. The Surrender #2
14. So-And-So
----------------------


As well as some old favourites...


[MP3] Joan Of Arc - Post-Coitus Rock
from "A Portable Model Of Joan Of Arc", 1997 Jade Tree

[MP3] Joan Of Arc - White-Out
from "How Memory Works", 1998 Jade Tree


*footnote
Now, I know you're thinking "but wait, how could Miles possibly tie this to Braid? Well, I can. Tim Kinsella and Bob Nanna (Gauge, later Braid, Hey Mercedes, City On Film) both played guitar and sang in the Sky Corvair, before moving onto their main bands. The circle is complete.

*POST footnote
I originally wrote "This concert will potentially rival my marriage AND the birth of my first-born in terms of personal importance", but eventually deemed that just totally ridiculous.


6 thoughts:

look at all that watermelon!
thanks miles, joan of arc are lovely

April 18, 2008 at 12:25 a.m.  

they are playing vancouver?
when do tickets go on sale??

April 18, 2008 at 1:49 p.m.  

I don't know, but I'll see you there!

April 18, 2008 at 4:12 p.m.  

who's your date

April 19, 2008 at 12:37 p.m.  

I'll go to Lykke Li if you come to Joan of Arc with me.

April 19, 2008 at 11:55 p.m.  

I respect your Joan of Arc cred to the fullest, because aligned with JOA is my fav-est fav of all time, OWEN.

when the hell is Owen gonna come to Van? srsly.

May 14, 2008 at 11:09 a.m.  

Newer Post Older Post Home