Wye Oak?


I'll tell you Wye! Baltimore duo Jenn Wasner and Andy Stack have somehow managed to make the two of them sound like four. They have also managed to be signed to Merge Records though having not released an album yet (to be released on Merge Records in April). This is quite the feat for a band who has not been under their current name for that long (previously under the name Monarch). And their songs are just mean. Jenn's soothing vocals and the intelligent mastermind of the two merge (ha) to create something that fills my senses. This is no nerdy indie pop. Every track I've heard off of If Children is entirely shoegaze-solid and worthy of many plays (check it: Wye Oak).

In more shoegaze news, I entirely overlooked the M83 album that was released in September of 2007.. what a mistake. As soon as I heard one track, I had to hear the whole thing. Digital Shades Vol 1 is pretty great for something I hadn't heard a lot of though I'm a sucker for (almost) all things ambient. They are said to release another album in April entitled Youth.

Wye Oak - Warning (mp3)
M83 - Waves, Waves, Waves (mp3)

P.S. In my absence to the west coast, I changed my last name to Pizzabaseball.. so you may now call me Camilla Pizzabaseball.

M83 mp3 c/o quarterlifeparty.blogspot.com

2 thoughts:

Was that a reference to Lantzville ?

January 17, 2008 at 10:15 p.m.  

which part!

January 18, 2008 at 7:10 a.m.  

Newer Post Older Post Home