www.oldliferecords.com

Old Life Records.


Old Life Records is a sweet little label from a sweet little place called Victoria BC (some say it's the best kept secret in Canada). They have compiled a group of unique local talents and even made a compilation! It includes a gulp of bedroom music* peppered with a nibble of tracks from a few indie pop bands. Also, all artists on this label are forced to have a BMI of 25. I don't know why.

Download their compilation for FREE here.

So remember that thing I was saying about sexually overt dance pop? Dreamboat is indubitably a gem from good ol' Victoria. "Young, dumb, full of cum, the bass has kicked in and he's lookin' for fun" is a sample of some of his catchy lyrics that tend to run through my head quite often. Dreamboat is something you play at a party and get asked by all your friends who it is and where you can buy a copy. It will also get you laid.** Anywhore, the dude is dope*** live. Perhaps one day he will show up in Toronto clad in his white pant suit and matching tie.

Dreamboat - Rice Dream (mp3) / Buy Here

I also recommend checking out Colourbook - a band that is catchy in all the right places (Dreamboat/Aaron Bergunder happens to be a member). In the words of Said the Gramophone, "If you were to invite Colourbook over for dinner, after they'd built your door and knocked it down they'd be installing a glitterball on the ceiling, planting new plants on your mantel, spreading ivy all over the walls. They'd be getting your girlfriend drunk, and your boyfriend too, and playing the first Arcade Fire EP at enough of a volume for you to remember the spiced, white nights of 2003".

Colourbook - Krakatoa (m4a) / Buy Here

Also, check these guys:
Almonds, Cohen (accordion included!)
Cobras Cobras Cobras
Young Lions
Balacade

- milla

*music made in your bedroom
**not 100% guaranteed

***dope is BC slang for 'wicked' or 'awesome'

5 thoughts:

sold my wife? I don't get it. but I don't care, because dreamboat has got me laid (aka makin' music in the bedroom) soooo many times. dope.

December 9, 2007 at 6:06 p.m.  

bmi? body mass?
dboat.. can canada handle him? could they?
so many questions??

December 10, 2007 at 1:37 a.m.  

yes. body mass index. I think my personal trainer told me my BMI was too high once.

December 10, 2007 at 3:56 p.m.  

reminds me, i should add gumdrops to my list

December 10, 2007 at 4:11 p.m.  

Camilla, this was the perfect mix of fiction and truth. Thank you!!!!!!!!!!

December 11, 2007 at 1:07 p.m.  

Newer Post Older Post Home